BALLETCORE 1960s British Couture Salmon Silk Organza Top
Pickup currently unavailable
• Impossibly rare, museum worthy vintage.
• John Cavanagh was a couturier who dressed royalty and celebrities out of his London boutique from 1952 - 1972.
• This salmon organza piece was once a floor length ballgown that had unfortunately suffered a lot of tearing in the skirt due to the delicacy of the silk and the beading. So after consulting a seamstress and realising we could not save the skirt, we hemmed it.
• This has given it a long top/micro mini look reminiscent of recent Miu Miu.
• The finely detailed couture construction is still very much evident in the interior, it is quite a wonder to inspect.
• It has a double organza shell and an acetate lining. Both with a metal zip.
• There are silver bead clusters throughout, all hand sewn.
•.Bateau neckline, half length sleeves and cinched waist.
• Could be worn over a slip dress, mini or longer. Looks lovely will a well cut pair of trousers.
• Condition is very good now, there is minor discolouration under the arms and just one small flaw near the zip as I have pictured last, very hard to spot.
• I was unsure how to price this as the only other active sale online was a multi-thousand dollar gown, the rest were all in museums. I wanted it to go to a loving home and considering the 'amendments' I was quite conservative. Perhaps it will be a historical fashion collector's lucky day. Perhaps it will be the standout piece at a wedding, who knows!
• AU & UK Womens 10 // • US Womens 6
MEASUREMENTS [Taken laid flat]:
Underarm - underarm: 46cm // Waist: 37cm // Hip: 47cm // Length: 66cm